Trouble with nvidia FC4, Inspiron 8500, must be missing something

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Nov 6 03:03:35 UTC 2005

Am So, den 06.11.2005 schrieb TroyGeek um 3:35:

> I just installed Fedora Core 4 (FC4) and I'm having trouble getting
> the binary nvidia driver working on my Dell Inspiron 8500 (with
> 1920x1200 resolution). I've installed the driver without trouble in
> FC1-FC3.
>
> I went to init 3, installed the driver, ran then added '/sbin/modprobe
> nvidia' to rc.local, removed rhgb from the grub.conf to bypass the
> udev problem (does that still exist in FC4?) and tried configuring my
> xorg.conf based on examples I found on the web.

You better follow http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia. That will to avoid
any possible issue regarding udev.

> When I try to start 'x' the nvidia splash screen shows for about a
> second then crashes.
>
> I get this error...don't know if it means anything:
>
> Symbol __glXgetActiveScreen from module
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
>
> Symbol __glXgetActiveScreen from module
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
>
> Does anyone have this working on a Dell Inspiron 8500 with 1920x1200
> resolution? Could you send me an example xorg.conf?

And if you stay using the closed source NVidia driver from direct
install rather than rpm.livna.org provided Fedora rpm, then at least
follow the instructions from

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-7676/README.txt

It is very clear about necessary changes in xorg.conf (regarding dri).

> ~ TroyGeek ~

Alexander

Serendipity 03:58:35 up 8 days, 1:58, load average: 0.71, 0.63, 0.39