Problem in booting new installation of Fedora Core 4

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Nov 6 08:18:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 12:14 +0500, Enlightened Moderation wrote:
> I did a new installation of Fedora Core 4 on a system with 2
> hard drives and which already had
> Windows XP installed. The configuration before installing Fedora Core
> 4 was as following:
>
> hda 20 GB has two ntfs partitions with windows xp installed in
> the first bootable partition.
> hdb 40 GB had only one 20 GB bootable fat32 partition. Rest of space
> i.e. 20 GB was set aside free for
> Fedora Core 4.
>
> I allowed Fedora to do automatic partition in the free
> space reserved.Also, I allowed to automatically
> select the place to install grub ( I did not opt for advance grub
> options).
>
> The installation proceeded normal until it congratulated me for
> completing the installation and to reboot
> the system. When I did a reboot, however, I did not get any grub boot
> loader prompt, and instead
> booted straight into Windows XP like before.
>
> I figured out that Fedora did not install the boot loader in the MBR
> of the first drive and instead installed
> in the first sector of /boot in the second drive. Therefore, I made my
> BIOS to boot from the second drive
> (hdb). However, I get a prompt telling me "Missing operating system".
>

> Please let me know how can I correct this to have a dual boot system
> with windows XP and Fedora
> Core 4.

1) set bios to boot from the first drive again
2) boot from the first install CD with "linux rescue"
after getting to the linux operating system.
3) chmod /mnt/sysimage
4) grub-install /dev/hda

You should now be able to boot to Linux.  I do not know if the grub
config is set to allow booting to the windows install, but that will be
a simple fix as well if needed.