mail confusion

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 18:05:11 UTC 2005

Jay Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 12:06 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> This host (aria) has a dynamic IP. It is on a private net, currently @
> 192.168.1.207
>
> my /etc/hosts file:
> 127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.localdomain aria.cullmail.com aria
>
> my /etc/resolv.conf file:
> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> search cullmail.com
> nameserver 207.203.159.252
> nameserver 205.152.0.5
>
> my /etc/sysconfig/network file:
> NETWORKING=yes
> # HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
> HOSTNAME=aria.cullmail.com
>
> I set up masquerading in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, "re-compiled", re-
> started sendmail, re-booted, jumped up turned around three times with my
> left index finger on my nose while chanting "there's no place like home,
> there's no place like home". No dice... I even changed the .mc file so
> that *no reference* to localhost.localdomain existed in sendmail.cf
> (checked this w/ a grep).
>
> So here's the thing: Evolution is configured to use sendmail on this
> host... it works fine. However 'pine' and 'mail' cannot get anything
> except 'localhost.localdomain' when they send mail.
>
> Please clue me in if you can.

For root, you can't get away with just eliminating "root" as an
EXPOSED_USER in sendmail.mc and relying on MASQUERADE_DOMAIN because
that will result in translating root at localhost.localdomain" to
"root at some.real.host", which would be very wrong.

You can use genericstable to translate root at localhost.localdomain
to some other real address.  You'll want to uncomment the
"FEATURE(`genericstable')" line in your sendmail.mc and include a
line like the following in /etc/mail/genericstable:

   root at localhost.localdomain   somebody at some.real.domain.tld

You'll also need to uncomment the "FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')"
line in sendmail.mc and be sure "localhost.localdomain" is being
included in class {G} by including a line:
      "GENERICS_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl"
(You can also use a GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE to do that.)

I'm tempted to say, "Now rebuild sendmail.cf, restart sendmail, and
Bob's your uncle," but (a) I'm not your uncle, and (b) I might
have left something out.  So, I won't.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.