Monitor-problems

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Nov 6 21:31:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 06:18:46PM +0100, fedora at hedinn.net wrote:

> Hi. I've just installed fedora to my Dell Latitude D505. When I try to boot, I get a green screen
> after some seconds. During the installation, the prog. found the correct video-card, but it said
> "unprobed monitor", so I guess the problem is related to this.
> Can anyone help me?

I am not sure what happened in the end. Did the system boot?
Anyway "unprobed monitor" is a common occurrence if your monitor is not
recognized.
So:
1. When the grub screen comes up hit a. This will allow you to type 3
at the end of the kernel line. Then when you boot ir will go into run
level 3.
2. At the same time find out the horizontal and vertical refresh rates
of your monitor.
3. You can enter the refresh rates into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file at
the appropriate place.
4. Adjust the resolution at the end of the file to an appropriate set of
values, or run : system-config-display and set the resolution to
something reasonable. 1024x768 lets say.

5. Then type: init 5
and see what happens. Then you can adjust the resolution up or down if
the system comes up with the GUI login.

If things still are strange ask again.

When the cup is full, carry it level.
Aaron Konstam