Firefox and 64-bit.

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 00:55:21 UTC 2005

On 11/6/05, Erik P. Olsen <erik at epo.dk> wrote:
> I have installed Firefox 1.0.7 on FC4 which is a 64-bit version. I have
> also installer Java 1.5.0.05, 64-bit version, but there was no plugin in

Correct.  There is no 64-bit Java browser plugin yet, only 32-bit.

> the package. So I wonder if my installed firefox is 32-bit and not 64-
> bit. How can I tell? If firefox IS 32-bit, I can easily install 32-bit

How did you install it?  If you installed the RPM for Fedora (updating
with yum or up2date) then it is 64-bit.  If you installed from a
Mozilla package, then it is probably 32-bit.  If you have installed it
with an RPM, you can further make sure which is installed by passing
the "--queryformat" option to rpm to tell it to print the architecture
as well.  I don't remember the string to pass it, but I know it is in
the archives somewhere.

> versions of the various plugins, but what do I do if firefox is 64-bit
> coded and no 64-bit code can be found?

If you really want the plugins, you will have to install the 32-bit
firefox.  There are many options for doing this, many of which have
been mentioned on the list before (archives again).

Jonathan