Linux Router with Firewall

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 7 01:39:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 18:35 -0500, David-Paul Niner wrote:

> >>Whether or not there is an annual fee associated with ipcop I cannot
> >>say, but I do know that releasing software under the GPL and charging an
> >>annual support fee are not mutually exclusive propositions.
> >>
> >>Please forgive me if that was not what you were implying.
> >>
> >>Just an observation,
> >
> > ----
> > I wasn't implying anything other than what I said - that the software
> > carries a GNU/GPL license and I've never seen anything that stated an
> > annual fee to be associated with it - for any reason. If Jeff or anyone
> > cares to point out where these fees are mentioned, I would appreciate it
> > since I am using ipcop at a number of clients and have given up on
> > smoothwall for a number of reasons (and I note that smoothwall is
> > interested in support contracts and renumeration for extra features).
> >
> > I was thinking that Jeff was confused and wanted him to elaborate on his
> > point.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> This is getting off-topic (and I'll end this here), but I will say
> this--I use Smoothwall b/c I bought the corporate version and I hate to
> throw money away.   One aspect I do not care for is the artificial
> imposed limit of only three network devices w/o having to upgrade from
> the "Corporate" to the "Advanced" product.
>
> Having said that, I understand that Smoothwall, Ltd. is a commercial
> entity entitled to make a profit.   I do not curse them for that.
>
> I've never configured ipcop, but you've sparked my curiosity about how
> it compares to smoothwall in terms of ease of administration.
----
ipcop began as a fork of the GPL version of smoothwall and has been
entirely redone using LFS and I think it is way better than smoothwall.

The philosophy of why ipcop is embedded within their 'mission statement'
and I gather there is a vague reference to smoothwall...

"After seeing the direction certain Linux Distributions were heading in,
a group of dissatisfied users/developers decided that there was little
reason for the idea of a GPL Linux Firewall Distribution of such
potential to be, simply, extinguished."

You can have multiple 'Red' interfaces and there is a whole host of
other features that have left smoothwall behind.

Craig

believed to be clean.