FC4 Installation problem

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Nov 7 03:21:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 12:39:30PM +1000, Scott N. Blackman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am attempting to install FC4 on a new machine which just has WindowsXP
> on it (I want to dual boot).  However, I don't get very far at all.  The
> DVD disk boots up and gives the usual questions,  but no FC.  At which I
> hit enter for graphical installation. It loads the one file and then
> initrd.img............. and then it reboots. I tried "linux noprobe" and
> "linux text" but with the exact same results. The disks are good as they
> have been used on different machines.  When I use "linux garbage" first,
> then "linux" or "linux text". I get a bit further then
>
> IRQ11: nobody cared ...
> Disabling IRQ11
>
> Then system hangs.
>

> My configuration:
> ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe
> 2GB DDRII 533
> Intel P4-531 3.0GHz PRESCOTT9(LGA775) processor
> 2 x 200GB (JB) WD S-ATA Hard drive
> ATI Radeon X700 pro pci-express video
> 19" LG 1950SSN LCD monitor
> LG GSA-4163B DVD+/-/RAM DUAL LAYER slave
> PIONEER DVR-110 DVD+/-RW DUAL LAYER master
>
> Any ideas?

I have only one idea and it may not be correct. When putting Linux on
a machine with a SATA drive I found I had to change the SATA drive
configuration in the BIOS. I can't remember which option I chose but
it would be easy to try a different option for SATA (my BIOS had
three) and see what happens.

Behind every great man, there is a woman -- urging him on.
		-- Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484