deleteing e-Mail, quota and dovecot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 7 18:17:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 12:17 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> Mbox is good for using less disk space and often faster searching.
> However, an mbox is just a large file, and deleting anything from the
> middle (though not the end) /requires/ making a copy of the file
> without the deleted messages.  You might need a hard limit twice the
> soft limit.
>
> Maildir keeps the messages in separate files, so it will take about
> 1.5x the space of mbox and put more pressure on the filesystem
> (inodes!), but messages are more easily deleted.

And depending on your mail client, it keeps a local copy of the mail in
one or the other formats.  So file system benefits may be undone, either
way.

e.g. Using Evolution and Dovecot with mbox (it started that way, and now
I'm considering changing to maildir because it's getting slow), I end up
with a ~/mail/ directory full of mbox files per folder, *and* a
~/.evolution/ directory with mostly the same thing in a different
format.

I read messages from the public lists.