Cannot gain access to Webmin

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Nov 7 18:57:08 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 07.11.2005 schrieb Paul Smith um 19:45:

> Thanks, Alexander and Craig. A bit more of research showed to me that
> /etc/hosts exists, but it is completely empty. For sure, I have not
> emptied that file. How can I fill it with the proper contents?
>
> Paul

With what Craig wrote you should easily be able to recreate the content.
To repeat: /etc/hosts is a plain text file, owned by root:root and chmod
644. Use an editor of choice, mine is "vim". To illustrate you again the
content, here mine as example:

$ cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.2             serendipity.dogma.lan serendipity

"man hosts" should be explanation enough to understand how the line have
to look like for a correct mapping. Very important is to have a working
mapping for the localhost (so the comment in there).

Alexander

Serendipity 19:52:50 up 9 days, 17:53, load average: 0.09, 0.14, 0.16