Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

Nat Gross nat101l at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 01:15:01 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> You might want to consider switching to either Centos4.x or
> fedora FC4, either of which will have mysql 4.x as part of
> the distribution so the normal update procedure not only will
> work but will include updates for the installed mysql. Using
> Centos has the advantage of being able to expect several
> years of update support before you have to re-install again.
> FC4 would have more current desktop apps.
>
> You know. Maybe I should go for FC4 now. (We decided to make the best of
this downtime (of this server) and might switch to Oracle (they have an
automatic mysql ----> Oracle migration utility), and they allow in house
(for developers) use for free. AND, the stuff/libs/rpm's they prerequisite
ships with fc4. But I am worried that FC3 ---> FC4 migration will cause loss
of data or other migration 'issues'. I don't want to hijack this thread, but
maybe a url or blog describing this experience, can be posted by someone.
Thanks.
-nat