mail confusion

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Tue Nov 8 05:47:12 UTC 2005

Jay Moore wrote:
> Bottom Line: Having found this trove of knowledge, I *think* my best
> course of action is to fix (right after I find it) the sendmail startup
> to remove the "-bd" option,

Fine.  Just don't bother others with complaints when mail within your
own system (e.g., mail from cron jobs, mail from logwatch, etc.)
just sits in /var/spool/clientmqueue and is never delivered.

FWIW, sendmail is a service started by 'init' in run levels 2-5.  The
files and links controlling that are in /etc/rc.d/init.d and
/etc/rc.d/rc?.d .  Unless you've changed the default setup, sendmail
accept connections only from 127.0.0.1 .

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.