cursed nvidia fedora my lack of knowledgeness

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Nov 8 08:56:24 UTC 2005

David Abbott wrote:

> I tried this initially
>
> [root at localhost ~]# yum install nvidia-glx kernel-module-nvidia-$(uname -r)
> (etc etc)

I assume you are drawn to the nVidia binary by the promise of 3D.
Otherwise the open source 'nv' driver is very good (excepting only
nVidia-style multihead).

If I were you I wouldn't use the rpms.

yum install kernel-devel

Then download the appropriate archive direct from nvidia

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

sh NVIDIA_blah_blah.sh

follow the prompts, get it to compile its own kernel module and install
it.  You need to re-do this once every time you update your kernel.
(Just a hint... when you do update your kernel, press A at the grub
prompt on reboot and append the number 3 to the kernel commandline...
this will avoid the box repeatedly trying to start the old, wrong,
nVidia driver).

Then

telinit 5

to start X.