cursed nvidia fedora my lack of knowledgeness

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Nov 8 11:07:03 UTC 2005

David Abbott wrote:
>>Not come across that problem - I just recompile the package, install the
>>module and restart X.
>
> Do you mean just compile the nvidia kernel through the driver
> instalation or are you talking about compiling your own kernel kernel?
> Which is what I am imagining is the next step.

No, there is no need to recompile the kernel.

Just get the kernel-devel package via yum.

The nVidia script will use the stuff in there to generate a kernel
module that does the actual business, without even needing a reboot.

Paul is talking about getting a source RPM for the nVidia driver, and
rebuilding this source RPM.  Either way you need the kernel-devel
package, but it is simpler to just run the nVidia script directly as I
proposed earlier.

-Andy