Help rescue a FC3 server

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 14:10:34 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 2:04 pm, Jack Ling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My server been built with fc3. After doing lots of operations
> (installing a number of packages) for months, I experienced strange
> behavious on "the Nautilus file explorer".
>
> Then, I decided to reboot it. But this time I have no luck. It fails
> to boot. Stopping at the stage when showing the line : "configuring
> kernal parameters....". Just stop there and never proceed.
>
> I don't know what to do. I have the fc3 installation cd-roms on hand.
> Putting disk 1, they have the rescue option. But how to use it to
> recover my machine? While this is not yet a production server, I
> don't want to loose the latest changes/settings I've done.
>
> How to rescue it?
>
> Or shall I use fc4? Is fc4 more stable than fc3, have better
> advantages?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> jack ling

Hi Jack

If you boot from disc 1 and at the boot prompt type 'linux rescue' it
will boot from the CD, load a kernel, look for your system and mount it
as /mnt/sysimage.

If you then 'chroot /mnt/sysimage/' you've got your system available to
you so you can then  look into what the problems are.

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn