Dependency problems with latest NetworkManager

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Tue Nov 8 20:03:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 14:00 -0500, Steven Stromer wrote:
> General F.Y.I.
>
> Over a 'pretty vanilla' installation of FC4, the latest NetworkManager
> 0.5.1-1.FC4.4, returns a failing dependency in up2date. The needed
> package, dhcdbd does appear to be available in the same channel,
> 'updates-released', but is seemingly not being found when up2date
> attempts to resolve the dependency. As the machine returning the message
> here is a server, I'm just uninstalling the package, as it's not needed.
> If someone needs this package to work and is experiencing the same
> problem, please pass this on to the NetworkManager package maintainer.
>

> There was a package dependency problem. The message was:
>
> Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
> NetworkManager 0.5.1-1.FC4.4  requires dhcdbd
>
> The following packages were added to your selection to satisfy dependencies:
> Package                       Required by
>
> Please modify your package selections and try again.

Steve,

Try using yum instead of up2date....  I simply ran "yum update" and not
only did it grab the new NetworkManager package, but also grabbed the
"new" dependency of dhcdbd and installed it, last night.

up2date has known deficiencies.  If you were already using yum to
retrieve your updates, then I would presume that the mirror you ended up
on is the one with the problem.... and a subsequent try may resolve the
problem.

--Rob