RESOLVED: Redirecting E-mail

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 8 20:06:01 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> Right, set an alias. Be aware that this of course will affect any mail
>>> directed to the local user.
>>>
>>> jmccarty:               Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
>>>
>>> You need to run "newaliases" command to rebuild the aliases.db and thus
>>> activating that change.
>>>
>>> An alternate is to use a ~/.forward file which just contains the target
>>> email address. Set permissions to 600 for the .forward file.
>>

>> You may also need to configure your mail server (sendmail by default) to
>> use a real domain name (as opposed to say, localhost.localdomain), or
>> you may find that sbc's mail servers reject the mail.
>>
>> Paul.
>

> And how do I do that? I don't own a domain name.
>
> Anyway, I recall using .forward under Solaris many years ago. I'll give
> it a try.
>
> Mike

[Saving .forward]
[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$ cat .forward
Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net

[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$ chmod 600 .forward
[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$ mail
No mail for jmccarty
[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$ mail jmccarty
Subject: Test of Forwarding
If you got this, then good for you!
.
Cc:
[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$  mail
No mail for jmccarty
[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$

A couple of minutes later it appeared in my Inbox.

Thanks all!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.