Problem adding new user...

Thomas Springer th.springer at gmx.net
Tue Nov 8 23:46:03 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, den 08.11.2005, 13:55 -0600 schrieb Mike McCarty:
> I am having a problem adding a new user. Perhaps I don't understand
> the shadow file or sth.
>
> I use FC2 with GNOME. I used at first the command-line I/F since
> I'm more familiar and more comfortable with that technique of
> sys admin.

[snip]

> [jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$ login
> login: freddy
> Password:
> Login incorrect
>

> What am I missing?
>
> Mike
> --

I also did that and got the same result here with FC4.

There's nothing related to that in

/var/log/secure
/var/log/messages
/var/log/audit/audit.log

Couldn't find anything helpful in

rpm -q --changelog util-linux | grep login
<search> site:bugzilla.redhat.com

Then I thought of how one could strace `login` ?  ? ?

Hopefully someone else can tell what's happening.

Thomas