[Off topic] Does anyone uses netenv?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Nov 9 00:02:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I considering to buy a laptop (Dell DS510) with FC4 to use at home, at work,
> at university, etc. I remember that there was a program called "netenv" which
> permits you to choose your network environment. Does anyone uses it? There is
> a better alternative?

system-config-network has a notion of profiles (but must be run as root or
profile must be specified at boot time).

NetworkManager is a real whiz-bang app that detects network connections
dynamically.  Plug in a cable and it switches to cable, unplug it and it
looks for wireless connections.  It manages keys, allows you to select
among in-range WAPs or create an ad-hoc net, controls VPN access (using
vpnc only at the moment), controls modems (untested by me ATM) and rescans
on suspend/resume to find the new connections.

Get the one in updates-testing, which is working pretty well.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu