deleteing e-Mail, quota and dovecot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 9 00:42:37 UTC 2005

Tim:

>> I use different terminals around the place.  That's why I went for
>> IMAP.

Derek Martin:

> Huh?

I use different terminals around here.  One in this room, one in that,
using the mail clients available on them.  Hence using IMAP with the
mail is an advantage.

>> I'd like a better client, anyway.  It leaves a lot to be desired in a
>> few areas (messy quoting that needs manual intervention, difficulty
>> in only polling one server out of many for your mail, etc.).

> Mutt + vim or is the way to go!  =8^)

No thanks.  That just adds painful use on top of limited functionality.

>> No, Thunderbird doesn't cut it.  It has the added disadvantage that
>> interprets the messages, HTMLising even plain text, as far as the
>> display is concerned.

> How could it "HTML"-ize plain text?  If there's nothing in the plain
> text for it to use as HTML, what is it doing?

For instance, this message has two generations of quoted conversations,
indicated by ">" prefix marks.  It doesn't show them as it, it converts
them to "|", colourises things, and treats the content as if it had been
an HTML e-mail (you can notice various changes to its interpretations of
plain text, instead of just showing it as-is, that behave in that
manner).  That's not a good idea for any mail client where you want to
show code snippets, etc.

I read messages from the public lists.