Problem adding new user...

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 9 05:58:55 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 20:49 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Craig White wrote:

>>>---
>>>can you su ?
>>>
>>>su - freddy
>>>
>>>Craig
>>
>>Yep, no problem.
>>
>>In one window...
>>

>>[root at Presario-1 root]# useradd freddy
>>[root at Presario-1 root]# passwd freddy
>>Changing password for user freddy.
>>New UNIX password:
>>Retype new UNIX password:
>>passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
>>[root at Presario-1 root]#
>>

>>In another window...
>>
>>[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$ su - freddy
>>Password:
>>[freddy at Presario-1 freddy]$ pwd
>>/home/freddy
>>[freddy at Presario-1 freddy]$ whoami
>>freddy
>>[freddy at Presario-1 freddy]$
>>
>>The password I entered was, of course, freddy's.
>>
>>However, after exit back to myself,
>>
>>[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$ login
>>login: freddy
>>Password:
>>Login incorrect
>>

>>login:
>>
>>I used the same password that worked with su -
>
> ----
> then clearly your issue isn't with /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow but is
> with 'login' command itself which I have never used and a quick perusal
> of 'man login' tells me that there are circumstances which may affect
> login ability.

But man login also says that the special conditions are checked
before the prompt for password takes place.

$ ls /etc/usertty
ls: /etc/usertty: No such file or directory

How about this...

$ login jmccarty
Password:

Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.
$ whoami
jmccarty
$ finger jmccarty
Login: jmccarty                         Name: Mike McCarty
Directory: /home/jmccarty               Shell: /bin/bash
On since Mon Nov  7 14:11 (CST) on :0 (messages off)
On since Mon Nov  7 16:53 (CST) on pts/2 from :0.0
    1 day 6 hours idle
On since Mon Nov  7 15:20 (CST) on pts/3 from :0.0
    23 hours 1 minute idle
On since Tue Nov  8 20:16 (CST) on pts/6 from :0.0
Mail forwarded to Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net

No mail.
No Plan.

What does "Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info."
mean?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.