trying out older (read-only, noexec, mount) security methods

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 13:07:22 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:
> Are there any known, current, problems with mounting certain things as
> read-only or noexec to minimise harm?  Such as making /tmp and /home
> noexec?  Or /usr read-only?  Or any other suggestions?

I've got /tmp mounted nodev,noexec (and should probably mount /var the
same way).

A read-only /usr sounds like more trouble than it's worth: it *will*
break yum updates. So you'll have to regularly remount it read-write
(while the system's on-line) to update the machine.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "In these troubled times, it's always refreshing to
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | see a major company concentrating on vital issues.