Fedora Core CD not found

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 13:21:25 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:
> What install method are you using?  expert?
>
> I do a routine "press enter key to install" installation and it NEVER
> asks for the install method (source). Of course I am installing from the
> CD, I just booted from it!  :-)
> Try that instead of the method you are using.

However, if the install media can't find the RPMS on the media it just
booted from, it will ask where you want to get the RPMS from.

This can be due to one of two symptoms:

 * the system doesn't have drivers for the interface the CD is on
   (unlikely in this case),

 * the CD drive has difficulty reading home-burnt CDs.

In the latter case, what I've found is that if the drive is already spun
up, the drive will return data relatively quickly. If the drive has to
spin up (which takes time for these drives), by the time the drive has
worked out what sort of media it's got and that yes, there is a valid
filesystem on the disk, then something has timed out. (I've never worked
out whether it's drive firmware, the system interface, or the software).

You could try CD-Rs instead of CD-RWs, or a different brand. Or, in
emergencies, you could try ejecting the disk, re-inserting it, wait for
the drive to spin up, and then try getting the install media to
recognise it!

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | As Tim switched off the engine, opened the driver's
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | door, undid his seat belt and fell out of the tree,