Wireless PCI recommendations?

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Wed Nov 9 13:56:58 UTC 2005

Temlakos wrote:
> Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Neil Cherry wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone recommend a wireless PCI card that does not need the
>>> ndiswrapper? So far I have one PCI that require NDIS, one compact
>>> PCI (Intel) that can't be load on an AMD machine (BIOS comes back
>>> with an error), a Broadcom compact PCI that works with NDIS and 2
>>> PCMCIA that need to use NDIS.
>>

>> atheros and it's madwifi driver.
>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

> Understand that that means "any wireless PCI card that is built with an
> Atheros chipset." Always look at the technical specs of any peripheral
> card you buy. Netgear springs to mind--so long as they don't change
> chipsets.

BING, BING, BING, BING! Give that man a cigar!

You hit the nail on the head. It's one of those things where I've
found I've ordered board_a only to find that they change to chipset
B. Of course chipset B is one of the non-Linux driver chipsets. Nasty!

Also thanks for explaining the atheros meaning. I was about to
do a google to find out what I can.

> Since installing a Netgear WAG-511 (with the Atheros chipset) into a
> Dell Inspiron 1200, and having excellent results with it and with the
> madwifi kernel module, I have become a firm believer in buying /only/
> hardware whose makers are willing to conform to open standards or at
> least share enough information for someone to build a decent driver for
> it. I can understand, up to a point, having to deal with legacy
> equipment. But if you're buying new hardware, I advise: don't mess with
> hardware for which the Linux community can't build a native driver
> because of licensure considerations, hardware maker policies, or for
> whatever reason.

Most of the stuff I have above is stuff I inherited from various
Windows PCs. The Intel cPCI has a Linux driver and it ticked me
off when the laptop refused to boot with it!

Thanks!

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/                     (HCS II)