Scared by the high traffic in the maillist

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Nov 9 19:45:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 01:02:22AM +0800, Roger Ye wrote:

>    I'm a newcomer to the maillist [1]fedora-list at redhat.com,
>
>    just after only one day subscription, now I got scared,
>
>    by such a high traffic in this list, over 50 topics in only
>
>    one day!

One day on the list and you're already proposing major
changes. Hmmm.

And posting HTML email. See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MailinglistGuidelines on this and a few
other points you may find useful.

>    That's too many for me, I just want to get some smell
>
>    of the buzz in the community in my spare time, maybe
>
>    there's no such people/job, but justimagine there's a
>
>    guy who has the job to monitor this maillist, he has to
>
>    process one topic with an average of 10 mins. not mention
>
>    the number of message in each topic and the mind-switch
>
>    between quite a few topics. that's a terrible work!

Do what I and a lot of other people do: watch the subject lines, and
look at those emails that interest you. Ignore the rest. (Which is why
writing a good subject line is so important.)

You don't need to become an expert on every topic that goes by on this
list. At least, I hope not, because you aren't going to, and neither
is anyone else on this list.

As far as switching between topics goes, set your mail reader up to
show your email in threads. Then the emails on a topic will tend to
stick together.

>    On another side, does such high traffic here means
>
>    linux still has too many problems? I do think so,

No, it just means people are having problems and other people are
helping them to solve them.