Slow Writing to Lexar Jump Drive

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Nov 10 23:52:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 17:48 -0500, Charlie McVeigh wrote:
> I have a 128 MB USB Lexar Jump Drive.  It worked reliably for me for
> close to a year.  About a month ago it became painfully slow when
> writing large files to it (both Fedora and Windows) - It takes about 24
> minutes to write a 4.5 MB file to it.   Read speed from the device
> appears to be as fast as always.

> I contacted Lexar and they suggested that I reformat the device with
> FAT32 format.  After reformatting to FAT32 read/write speed when using
> Windows appears to be back to normal.   However when automounted on my
> FC3 desktop the write speed is still 24 minutes to write the same 4.5 MB
> file.   Fast on Windows slow on Fedora - any one have any suggestions?

> Of course Lexar is no help when it comes to Linux.

	With the drive mounted type "mount" with no parameters and check the
mount options for the drive.  If it says "sync" in the list of options,
that's the source of your problem.  There are other threads over the
past several months regarding this and the sync option has been removed
from the relevant hal configuration files.  You should update and/or
correct that situation to eliminate the sync option.

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/