xorg.conf gets reset on 2nd boot after a kernel update

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 17:37:37 UTC 2005

Dan Hensley wrote:

>Why is it that FC4 overwrites my xorg.conf on a kernel update?
>
>The process for me is that I do a yum update, and install the new
>kernel.  I then reboot into initlevel 3, update my nVidia driver, and
>then telinit 5 for a normal login.  After I shut down and restart the
>machine, my xorg.conf gets overwritten by a default file.  At this point
>my keyboard and mouse do not work correctly for the graphical login, and
>I have to hit the reset button on my computer and repeat the initlevel 3
>and fix the xorg.conf file.
>
>How do I keep FC4 from doing this incredibly annoying thing?

My guess is that you installed the proprietary Nvidia driver and did a
yum update which included a new kernel got installed for which a
equivalent Nvidia module was not available. The Nvidia package probably
has some logic in it to check whether a equivalent module is available
and if not rewrite xorg.conf to fallback on the Xorg open source 'nv'
driver  included in Fedora.  There might be some packaging bug that does
it incorrectly causing your X login to fail. You have to report that to
the package maintainers if thats the case.

regards
Rahul