NFS Server

Mike Poublon michael.poublon at hope.edu
Fri Nov 11 19:36:07 UTC 2005

I'm working on setting up an NFS file server using Fedora Core 4. The NFS
shares will be accessed by compute nodes inside of a cluster computer. I've
successfully done this in the past, but due to some recent hardware changes
have run into a slight issue. The server (also head node of the cluster) has
Gigabit network cards. 9 of the compute nodes (NFS Clients) do not, they have
10/100 nics. There are also 5 compute nodes that do have gigabit cards. The
problem is this:

When the nodes with gigabit cards mount an NFS share everything works fine.
When the 10/100 nodes try to mount, they are successful, but can't read large
files (~600mb). They display the error message

server <hostname> not responding, still trying

and sit there not realling doing much (as far as i can tell).

The MTU is set at the default of 1500 on all of the NICS (gigabit and 10/100).

If anyone has seen this problem and knows a way around it I'd appreciate some
hints.

Thanks
Mike Poublon