[Fedora] Re: X-related questions

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Nov 11 23:59:22 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:

>Just install vnc-server ("yum install vnc-server" or "yum install vnc*"
>to install server and client).  Then perform the actions I mentioned
>before.  As the root user, generate a VNC password:
>
>	# vncpasswd
>
>Next, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  In the "Modules" section, add the line:
>
>	Load  "vnc"
>
>In the "Screen" section, add:
>
>	Option      "passwordfile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
>
>Save and close the file, then restart X by logging out or ye ol'
>CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.  Once you see X back up, use your vncviewer program,
>put in the password you set up and you should see the GDM login screen.
>Away you go!

    Yes, away I really went.  That worked!  Except now I'm faced with
some weird artifacts.  Something I didn't see when I was using the
Remote Desktop piece.  But I do see it using VNC now.  I took a screen
grab of what I see in my vncviewer and you can see it at
http://www.yeehaw.net/vnc.jpg

    Bunch of dots that come and go as I have menus open and close...

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.