xorg.conf gets reset on 2nd boot after a kernel update

Dan Hensley dan at dshensley.com
Sat Nov 12 21:17:24 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 13:24 -0500, Graham Campbell wrote:

> > > Have you installed the Livna Nvidia package at any time? It adds
> > > to /etc/rc.d/init.d an nvidia-glx file which is one of the very few ways
> > > that things would be changed on a reboot. If you have gone back to the
> > > nvidia procedure, remove that package.
> >
> > I've never installed the Livna package.  I'm thinking of putting my own
> > process init.d just to make sure the xorg.conf file stops getting
> > clobbered, but that's just a bandaid.
>
> My next suggestion would be to grep through all the /etc/init.d files
> looking for something referencing xorg.conf. (Maybe make that all files
> in the rc.d directory tree). There are not many other places that things
> could be changed by a reboot.

I checked in there, and the only reference at all was in firstboot,
which checks for the existence of xorg.conf and launches the
configuration script if it isn't there.

> A last minute thought. Immediately before the Reboot in step 6, verify
> the integrity of xorg.conf. X probably keeps the file open, so if it is
> rewritten by someone before this point, X will keep using the old
> version until it is closed and reopened. Maybe try restarting X by
> logging out and in, or with ctl-alt-backspace.

I'll check this next time as well if I can remember.  I also took
Christoph's suggestion and turned off Kudzu.  Most of the time my
hardware configuration is fixed, so there's no need to run it on each
boot.  This should speed up the boot process by a bit too.

Thanks,
Dan