syslogd quesstion

Bradner, Greg Greg.Bradner at disney.com
Mon Nov 14 22:19:13 UTC 2005

http://freshmeat.net/projects/syslog-ng/

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Mike Burger
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2005 9:50 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Cc: David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A.; For users of Fedora Core releases;
General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: syslogd quesstion

Perhaps Solaris isn't using a gnu syslogd?  Perhaps Sun compiles their
syslog differently?

The fact is that it is different...it's not Solaris, it's Red Hat or
Fedora Core.

I'm an AIX admin by trade, and a Linux admin by hobby.  Both do things
differently.  I don't complain that one does things differently than the
other.  I make note of the differences, and then I work with/around
them.

On Sun, November 13, 2005 6:29 am, Nikhil wrote:
> But this is not the same on Solaris, as I do get them on a Solaris '
> syslog
> . Why this should not be the case with Linux as well ?
>
> On 11/12/05, David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A. <d.tonhofer at m-plify.com>
wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure that there is no way to set up the format without
>> changing
>> syslogd's
>> code (which is probably not hard to do, BTW).
>>
>> But if you want to know the 'facility' you can trivially log into
>> different
>> files depending on the facility. This is want I do. In
/etc/syslogconf:

>> ----8<---------------------8<------------------------
>> #
>> # We do not need to synch the logs after each line, not even
>> # the kernel log, which logs a lot of stuff about iptables. Sure,
>> # we may los stuff if a crash occurs, but we gain speed.
>> # -> Prepend '-' before the file. See man syslog.conf
>> #
>>
>> auth.* -/var/log/auth_log
>> authpriv.* -/var/log/authpriv_log
>> cron.* -/var/log/cron_log
>> daemon.* -/var/log/daemon_log
>> kern.* -/var/log/kern_log
>> lpr.* -/var/log/lpr_log
>> mail.* -/var/log/mail_log
>> news.* -/var/log/news_log
>> user.* -/var/log/user_log
>> uucp.* -/var/log/uucp_log
>> ftp.* -/var/log/ftp_log
>> syslog.* -/var/log/syslog_log
>> local0.* -/var/log/local0_log
>> local1.* -/var/log/local1_log
>> local2.* -/var/log/local2_log
>> local3.* -/var/log/local3_log
>> local4.* -/var/log/local4_log
>> local5.* -/var/log/local5_log
>> local6.* -/var/log/local6_log
>> local7.* -/var/log/local7_log
>>

>> --On Friday, November 11, 2005 11:07 PM +0530 Nikhil <
>> mnikhil.juno at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello Friends
>> >
>> > I have a syslogd , sucessfully implemented with -r option in a
>> network.
>> > Currently all the messages that are being logged are in the below
>> format
>> >
>> > <date> <machinename> <processname>[<pid>]: <message>
>> >
>> > Can I have some format where in the facility/priority is also
>> mentioned
>> so
>> > that I can see under what facility and priority the messages are
being
>> > logged.
>> > may be like this:
>> > <date> <machinename> <facility.priority> <processname>[<pid>]:
>> <message>
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Nikhil
>>

> --

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request at bubbanfriends.org

with a message of:

subscribe