Making /var/log/messages readable

Forrest Sedgwick fsedgwic at berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 14 23:35:52 UTC 2005

Hello everyone, I have a security question.  I was wondering what the
risks are in making /var/log/messages readable by everyone.  I am often
checking this log and right now I need to su every time to do it.  I
have not modified syslog.conf in anyway, so the entry for messages still
reads:

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages

This is on my laptop, which is not used as any time of server or
anything.  But since I'm a newbie I thought it would be a good idea to
check before changing around these types of security settings...

Thanks,
-Forrest