unexpected DNS look ups being logged

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 15 04:38:12 UTC 2005

Tim:
>> I see things reported in logwatch that I don't expect.  For instance,
>> named reports resolving addresses that are part of spams I'm receiving.
>> However, I'm not using spam filtering, I'm not loading HTML with images
>> that might contain web bugs (and these spams were plain text, anyway),
>> so I didn't expect Evolution to go checking on the addresses.

Andy Pieters:
> Who sais its evolution?

Because on that machine, there's nothing else that touches the mail.
The mail server runs on a different machine, and this one gets it via
IMAP.

If I switch machine to run evolution elsewhere, that machine does the
same thing:

e.g. Nov 12 18:14:12 mongrel named[1415]: FORMERR resolving 'education-russia.com/AAAA/IN': 68.105.15.143#53

Neither machine has been set up to do any sort of junk mail filtering,
so I don't expect evolution to do any sort of checkups on the mail it's
handling.

NB:  That address seems to be associated with someone trying to commit a
fraud, in particular it seems like money laundering.

I read messages from the public lists.