[Fedora] Re: LDAP vs. NIS+

Aly Dharshi aly.dharshi at telus.net
Tue Nov 15 15:53:19 UTC 2005

Hello Ashley,

	I hope that you are well. Join the mailing list for Fedora Directory Server,
they are extremely helpful over there, with RedHat engineers on the list, you
can't go wrong. There is a GUI that should be able to make your life easier
(creating accounts and such) and this product is similar to Sun's DS, *but* not
exactly the same.

	LDAP does look daunting at first, but it can do a wide variety of things that
you would find very tideous and painful in NIS/NIS+, Craig White has outlined
some of the most interesting issues. Unless I am wrong you want a centralized
account management system, if so LDAP will certainly help. What ever you can
setup in NIS+ you can in LDAP, ethers, hosts, passwd, groups, heck with Sun OS
you can setup a NIS+ system that interacts with a backend LDAP server. You will
find that Sun is going to support NIS+ for people like my company for a little
while longer before we find that its going to got away and a rush migration will
take place.

	Also ask questions on the FDS mailing list, you will find that people are
willing to help newbies, as well as there is tons of Howtos on the wiki site.
OpenLDAP is good too, but I would side with FDS as its bound to one day become
the default in Fedora over OpenLDAP (my opinion). So try it out on a  test
server with a test client, make the system go see how you can tweak things, to
suit your taste buds, this isn't going to be something that you will get perfect
overnight, but you sound dedicated so it won't take a long long time :) :).

	Cheers,

	Aly.

--
Aly S.P Dharshi