energy saving mode for Viewsonic?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Tue Nov 15 22:11:37 UTC 2005

    I just had the Viewsonic VP201S LCD monitor repaired that is attached
to our Fedora Core 4 Xeon workstation (with Radeon 9600 XT graphics card).
Before the monitor died, I never gave much thought to making sure that
FC4 was properly putting this monitor into the energy saving mode (which
I would assume is easiest on the electronics of the display). I am using
the current livna rpms for the ATI fglrx drivers. Can anyone explain the
best approach to put this monitor into energy saving mode when idle? I
noticed that Release notes for the 8.19.10 version of the ATI fglrx
driver claims PowerPlay support for newer kernels using the aticonfig
program. Does anyone know if the necessary PowerPlay support exists in
the new 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 kernel?
                       Jack