ssh login delays

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 16 00:11:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 11:22:41PM -0400, Bob Hartung wrote:
> Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:22:41 -0400
> From: Bob Hartung <rwhart at mchsi.com>
> To: fedora-list <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: ssh login delays
>
> Hi all,
>   I have two linux boxes at home: FC3 and FC4.  I am logging into the
> FC4 box from FC3 and the time from issuing the 'ssh ....' command until
> I see the password prompt is 36 seconds.  As I am new to this I have no
> idea where to begin looking for the cause of the delay.
>
>   I can login into the FC4 box from my wife's OS X Mac with virtually
> no delay.
>
>   Pointers please on where to begin looking for the hangup.

Compare and contrast:

	ssh -x user at host
	ssh -X user at host

My guess is that the systems are establishing an secure tunnel/ channel
for X11 traffic.   The other very common time consumer is host name lookup
both forward and backward (DNS bind).    If I recall correctly the ssh
config files (/etc/ssh/*) changed between FC3 and FC4 on some of this.

You can check the the X11 thing by starting xterm and then inspect $DISPLAY.
If $DISPLAY is a "localhost:11.0" something address there is an SSH tunnel...

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new place to hang my hat :-)