digital signature/certificate in open office 2.0

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 02:24:37 UTC 2005

On 15/11/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:

> At 12:41 AM -0700 11/15/05, kwhiskers wrote:
> >The reason I wanted to sign a document so badly is that I wanted to
> submit
> >an assignment and 'sign' my work, but I know that the university only
> >accepts one specific closed format. Bummer.
> >Sending the document as a open document text file (odt), I would presume
> >that the signature wouldbe intact. I know I can see it, and would hope it
> >is visible to others not using my computer.
>
> If you convert the original signed document to .rtf instead of .doc, can
> you find the signature in it? (Note that .rtf is just text and can be
> viewed in a text editor.) If the signature is there, convert the .doc to
> .rtf and see if it's still there.

I noticed something I hadn't noticed last night:

I was just about to do what you suggested, but I decided to try saving a
.doc of my document, which I did. Then I wanted to sign it, but a message
appeared, stating that one must first save in .odt to sign.

Apparently, it is not possible to sign a .doc.

However, I just saved a .rtf of my document, and lo and behold, it is
signed. I do not know whether the signature will appear in Windows.

Curiously, only .odt and .rtf can be signed, but not .doc!
--
kwhiskers{