Problem with partitioning -- How to format hard drive and reinstall Windows?

peter wu pwu95 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 03:37:23 UTC 2005

Thanks, Thom, for your kind reply.

  I have Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP Home and 160G Serial ATA hard drive.

Can I make Dell media disc myself, since my Windows is still working. (BTW, what would Dell media disc do for me?)

  --peter

Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:  Do you have the green Dell XP Pro with Service pack 2 on it?

  It will work nicely to reinstall your machine, just be sure to set the  size of the hard drive partition you want. Like if you have an 80G  drive and want 40G for Windows and 40G for linux you set the size  during the Windows install to be 40G.

  If you have one of those new fangled system restore partitions (I hate  them) I can make an ISO of my Dell media disc and send you. Let me know  if it is XP Pro or Home.

  They only install on Dell bios's and you use your licence key on the side of the case.

On 11/15/05, peter wu <pwu95 at yahoo.com  > wrote:Hi, all,

 I have a dual-boot system (WinXP & Fedora  3), but during further partitioning of C: drive with PartitionMagic,  for some reason, it got really hosed up. Now I lost access to Linux  (but luckily, I can boot to WinXP from GRUB).

  - I tried to boot from Linux CD and 'linux rescue' but I don't have /mnt/sysimage, and this method failed.
  - I also tried 'fdisk -l' but it returns nothing, and can't do anything further.

  Since I seem to have Windows, I tried to just reinstall Linux with  installation CD, but it gave me an error saying "No Drives Found." The  msg said there was no valid device on which to create new file systems.

  So, I decided to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows, but the  reinstallation method provided by Dell (my computer manufacturer)  doesn't work on the machine.

  - I tried to boot from the Windows CD. I get the following msg: "Setup  is inspecting your compute!  r's   hardware configuraton..." Then the  computer hangs.

  The system seems to be really messed up. Is there any way to get out of this mess? I am basically looking for ways to format hard drive.

  I'd appreciate your help, in advance.

    --peter

-=/>Thom  --