Livna Usability Assessment (Was: Re: cursed nvidia fedora my lack of knowledgeness)

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:03:36 UTC 2005

2005/11/16, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>:
> Am Dienstag, den 15.11.2005, 07:33 -0700 schrieb Christopher A.
> Williams:

> > > No, I mean we shouldn't confuse them into thinking that livna is
> > > different even if they are too dumb to know better.  They should
> > > start by using fedora extras and then when livna works exactly
> > > the same way they won't have anything new to learn.  Livna is
> > > different only by policy, not by anything technical.
> >
> > OK - Uncle.
> >
> > You're right about all of it.
> >
> > I hearby withdraw my offer to assist with Livna. Obviously, you guys
> > know how all users should interact with your system and it's so simple
> > anyone could figure it out themselves.
>
> Just one question Christopher: Who do you mean with "you guys"? Les
> Mikesell is not involved with livna afaik (or did I miss anything
> here?).
>
> CU
> thl
>
> --

actually in my eyes its usability vs encouraging the user to really
read what hes doing.

just a small comment, having a huge download button will lead to
support overhead because people start to wildly clicking on rpms
instead getting the release package to have gpg key etc automagically
imported. Same goes for the "i want to install foo so i click on the
package in the browser but it errors out and says something about
dependencys" question.
The most important thing about the design is to keep really
"usability" in mind.. the layout itsself is rather unimportant in case
of a repo... the important stuff is the repo itssself, the packages,
bugzilla, and a configuration how to. all of those are rather obvious
already on the page. just my opinion as a long time 3rd party repo
owner.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl