question on using random in C on FC4 (perhaps slightly OT)

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 14:47:37 UTC 2005

OK, now I have a real question: on my machine, I try the following....

%man random

and get a bunch of stuff about a random number generator.

SYNOPSIS
       #include <stdlib.h>

       long int random(void);
       void srandom(unsigned int seed);
       char *initstate(unsigned int seed, char *state, size_t n);
       char *setstate(char *state);

CONFORMING TO
       BSD 4.3

So, ignoring this, I use the following in a random number generator program and
get the following while compilation....

gcc -c -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -pedantic random.c
random.c: In function 'setseed':
random.c:35: warning: implicit declaration of function 'srandom'
random.c: In function 'runi':
random.c:48: warning: implicit declaration of function 'random'

But I have included stdlib.h so what is the problem?

Many thanks and best wishes,