Sync a Treo 650 with Fedora Core 3

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Nov 16 16:03:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 10:45 -0500, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 17:25, Craig White wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 11:08 -0500, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
> >
> > wrote:

> > > I've tried everything in the previous thread with no luck. Below is a
> > > listing from  /var/log/messages. Any further help would be much
> > > appreciated, it seems to be connecting however kpilot times out every
> > > time.
> > >
> > > Nov 15 10:38:24 Issac kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using
> > > uhci_hcd and address 2
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
> > > support registered for Generic
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usbcore: registered new driver
> > > usbserial_generic Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel:
> > > drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
> > > support registered for Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
> > > support registered for Sony Clie 3.5
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
> > > support registered for Sony Clie 5.0
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: visor 3-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> > > converter detected
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> > > converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> > > converter now attached to ttyUSB1
> > > Nov 15 10:38:26 Issac kernel: usbcore: registered new driver visor
> >
> > ----
> > I am certain that my suggestion was to ignore udev and make a node
> > in /tmp for the pilot and use that to connect instead of any nodes that
> > udev might create.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> > --
> > believed to be clean.
>

> Hi Craig;
>
> I tried the instructions from your final solved post with no luck. I can make
> the node ok but pilot-xfer complains that no port for -p was provided even
> though I supply /tmp/pilot for the -p.
>
> Here's what I get :
> pilot-xfer  -L -p /tmp/pilot
>    No $PILOTPORT specified and no -p <port> given.
>    Defaulting to '/dev/pilot'
>    ERROR: No such file or directory (2)
>
>    Error accessing: '/dev/pilot'. Does '/dev/pilot' exist?
>    Please use --help for more information
>
> Also, I am still trying to get the udev bit to work. Here's some more info,
> maybe someone can point me in the right direction ?
---
I will not help on udev since the bugzilla report is not resolved and
there seems to be little hope for that ever to be fixed in FC-3. In
fact, I removed the entries in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules (or
whatever you might call yours) for the pilot since they seemed to
interfere. If you want to keep peeing into the wind, be my guest.
There's little reason to attempt to use more complicated GUI stuff if
you can't make the base tool work.

does /tmp/pilot exist?
# ls -l /tmp/pilot
crw-r--r--  1 craig root 188, 1 Oct  5 15:14 /tmp/pilot

why the extra space in your pilot-xfer command?

pilot-xfer -L -p /tmp/pilot

what version of pilot-link are you using?
# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/pilot-xfer
pilot-link-0.11.8-8

Craig

believed to be clean.