Sync a Treo 650 with Fedora Core 3

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Wed Nov 16 17:13:59 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 11:03, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 10:45 -0500, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
>
> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 November 2005 17:25, Craig White wrote:

> > > ----
> > > I am certain that my suggestion was to ignore udev and make a node
> > > in /tmp for the pilot and use that to connect instead of any nodes that
> > > udev might create.
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >

> > > --
> > > This message has been scanned for viruses and
> > > dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> > > believed to be clean.
> >
> > Hi Craig;
> >
> > I tried the instructions from your final solved post with no luck. I can
> > make the node ok but pilot-xfer complains that no port for -p was
> > provided even though I supply /tmp/pilot for the -p.
> >
> > Here's what I get :
> > pilot-xfer  -L -p /tmp/pilot
> >    No $PILOTPORT specified and no -p <port> given.
> >    Defaulting to '/dev/pilot'
> >    ERROR: No such file or directory (2)
> >
> >    Error accessing: '/dev/pilot'. Does '/dev/pilot' exist?
> >    Please use --help for more information
> >
> > Also, I am still trying to get the udev bit to work. Here's some more
> > info, maybe someone can point me in the right direction ?
>
> ---
> I will not help on udev since the bugzilla report is not resolved and
> there seems to be little hope for that ever to be fixed in FC-3. In
> fact, I removed the entries in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules (or
> whatever you might call yours) for the pilot since they seemed to
> interfere. If you want to keep peeing into the wind, be my guest.
> There's little reason to attempt to use more complicated GUI stuff if
> you can't make the base tool work.
>
> does /tmp/pilot exist?
> # ls -l /tmp/pilot
> crw-r--r--  1 craig root 188, 1 Oct  5 15:14 /tmp/pilot
>
> why the extra space in your pilot-xfer command?
>
> pilot-xfer -L -p /tmp/pilot
>
> what version of pilot-link are you using?
> # rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/pilot-xfer
> pilot-link-0.11.8-8
>
> Craig
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

Craig;

not sure why I had an extra space in the  pilot-link command. /tmp/pilot does
exist:
# ls -l /tmp/pilot
crw-r--r--  1 kkempter kkempter 188, 1 Nov 14 20:43 /tmp/pilot

Here's my version:
# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/pilot-xfer
pilot-link-0.11.8-10.0.3.kde

When I run pilot-link it still complains about a port not specified and wants
to use /dev/pilot:

$ pilot-xfer -L -p /tmp/pilot
   No $PILOTPORT specified and no -p <port> given.
   Defaulting to '/dev/pilot'

   Listening to port: /dev/pilot

   Please press the HotSync button now...

However if I set $PILOTPORT to /tmp/pilot then It looks for the correct port:
$ pilot-xfer -L -p /tmp/pilot

   Listening to port: /tmp/pilot

   Please press the HotSync button now...

This is progress but at this point I prress the hot sync button and nothing
happens. Did I miss a step or fail to setup something other than the mknod :

mknod /tmp/pilot c 188 1

Thanks again for your help...

/Kevin