Livna Usability Assessment Assessment

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Nov 16 17:37:46 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:

> I do agree that rpm is not the best things for installing software due
> to dependencies but it would be nice to see a listing of what packages

Well to be clear rpm itself is really good IMO.  Trying to acquire rpms
individually when there is a cluster of dependent ones is what sucks and
perhaps unfairly has the name "rpm Hell".  RPM in combination with a
depsolver like yum is really pretty good!

> are available on livna via a web browser.  Yesterday I typed in yum
> provides gdb and it took almost an hour to get the results.  This is
> only an example but a listing of packages would be nice.
>
> It would give me the option to download the rpm or to enable livna and
> then use yum.

If you get stuck with a slow mirror it can take ages.  I just tried it
and it finished in around 1 minute.

> Sometimes I am looking for something weird and I find an answer on
> Google but it doesn't help if I cannot find the package.  Livna may have
> the package but I cannot do a simple search of the site to know.

Yep.

> How about a link from the package that opens a download page that
> explains the benefits of Yum over straight rpm.  Including links to the
> various setup files and a howto to setup and user yum for noobs.

I think up2date is still exerting a confusing influence over people new
to Fedora.  Hopefully soon enough something with a similar UI based on
"yum inside" will replace it and the Add/Remove packages app and the
confusion will go away.

-Andy