Livna Usability Assessment Assessment

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 18:04:29 UTC 2005

On 16/11/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:

> >I think up2date is still exerting a confusing influence over people new
> >to Fedora. Hopefully soon enough something with a similar UI based on
> >"yum inside" will replace it and the Add/Remove packages app and the
> >confusion will go away.

I use yum, plus occasionally, I will use straight rpm. This works fine for
me.

One SUPREME drawback I have found to all of the package managers like yum,
synaptic and up2date is that they only update the programs you have on your
system.

What if I want to get some new programs that I don't yet have? There are
1000s of programs on the official fedora discs and on extras, but there is
no way for me to know what they are, so how could I know whether I want to
install them, or even know that they exist, unless I scan the list?

I have spent hours scanning the directories, manually typing rpm -qip
package.rpm for HUNDREDS of files, just to find out more and get a COUPLE of
nice gems. At least KPackage lets you have some information about a program,
but still, you need to look at each and every one.

Even what freshrpms and rpmforge do, giving a one-line description (very
inadequate, but better than nothing) helps a LOT.
--
kwhiskers{