Sync a Treo 650 with Fedora Core 3

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Nov 16 18:18:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 12:13 -0500, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
wrote:

> Here's my version:
> # rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/pilot-xfer
> pilot-link-0.11.8-10.0.3.kde
>
> However if I set $PILOTPORT to /tmp/pilot then It looks for the correct port:
> $ pilot-xfer -L -p /tmp/pilot
>

>    Listening to port: /tmp/pilot
>
>    Please press the HotSync button now...
>
> This is progress but at this point I prress the hot sync button and nothing
> happens. Did I miss a step or fail to setup something other than the mknod :
>
> mknod /tmp/pilot c 188 1
----
no - you didn't miss anything and I can see from your version - that you
have a different pilot-link version than I have (apparently yours is
from kde repository) and is behaving slightly differently.

As you can see, your version of pilot-link completely ignores the '-p'
option passed to it from the command line and only wants the exported
variable $PILOTPORT - which is not consistent with my expectations.

I generally start the hotsync button first and then execute the command
because the version of pilot-link I had would error out if the port
didn't exist (dramatic for udev, not dramatic for manually created
device nodes).

Given that your target is kpilot and you are obviously using non-fedora
supplied version of the base tool, you might want to use kde lists to
troubleshoot. Bear in mind though, that there seems to be some timing
issues with udev that cause udev created pilot devices to time out - at
least on FC-3 base+updates.

Craig

believed to be clean.