Clustering

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Wed Nov 16 18:59:01 UTC 2005

"Brian D. McGrew" <brian at visionpro.com> writes:

> I've got multiple Fedora (FC3) boxes deployed and I want to turn them
> into a compute cluster for compiling.  What are my options for doing
> this, preferably in a free manner?

You want to use the cluster to build programs? In theory, you might be able
to use OpenMosix to make the cluster look like one big computer, but I have
never heard of anyone building a cluster to compile programs. Clusters are
ususally built to run compute-intensive scientific computing applications.

With a properly constructed build system, you could use several processors
on a single computer with multiple processors to speed up the
compiling. Use make with the -j flag, as in

make -j N

where N = number of processors + 1

Regards
Ingemar