network card going to sleep????

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at iesabroad.org
Wed Nov 16 20:12:53 UTC 2005

if you can ping the NIC I'd assume its fine.  During the times when it
fails are you getting no response or a host unreachable error of some
kind?  What happens when you type:

netcat remote.host-that.is.failing.com 22

Its possible the hard drive is going to sleep and it is taking a while
to spin back up.  What steps do you take to make it come back up?  Does
it stay down until you reboot the box?

	-Mike