network card going to sleep????

Timothy A. Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Wed Nov 16 22:06:27 UTC 2005

> > Hi Folks:
> >
> > I have a bit of a curious problem here.  I have a Fedora Core
> > 4 P4 HT box with a Intel Pro/1000 NIC in it that seems to go
> > to sleep at random times.  If I try to SSH to it, or access
> > the web site that it serves (it's a snort box and it serves
> > BASE) I get no response, but if I ping it, I can get it.  I
> > am beginning to wonder if FC4 has some new feature that is
> > powering down or autosleeping the card or something.  Can
> > someone suggest a solution or at least where to look
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > TIM
> >

> if you can ping the NIC I'd assume its fine.  During the times when it
> fails are you getting no response or a host unreachable error of some
> kind?  What happens when you type:
>
> netcat remote.host-that.is.failing.com 22
>
> Its possible the hard drive is going to sleep and it is taking a while
> to spin back up.  What steps do you take to make it come back up?
Does
> it stay down until you reboot the box?
>
> 	-Mike

[Timothy A. Holmes]

Hi Mike:

When it fails to respond it is only failing to do so on SSH (From PUTTY)
and HTTPS (From firefox or IE).

I feel like a bit of an idiot, but neither my Fedora boxes or my windows
stations responded to the netcat command -- they all said they did not
recognize the command -- so I cant answer that part

I don't think the hdd is spinning down, as it continues to sniff on the
sniffer port, and once its pinged it comes up -- occasionally it takes 2
ping sequences from windows to come up, but I have never had it fail to
come up

When it is uncontactable, it appears to be carrying on normally, as
there is no gap in the snort records in the db

To make it come back up, all I do is hit it with a Ping command from my
windows workstation.

Thanks

TIM