network card going to sleep????

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Nov 17 10:21:48 UTC 2005

Mike McGrath wrote:

> I'm wondering if there's not some sort of network or LAN issue, has this
> always been like this or did it just recently start?
>
> instead of netcat, what do you get when you type:
>
> telnet remote.host-that.is.failing.com 22

Something else on the network with the same IP as this box?  The failing
protocols are both ones which confirm the identity of the box, not just
the IP.

Examine the arp cache on another box for that IP

arp

so touch the bad box to get it working, do the arp, then wait for it to
die a death, try to touch it again and do another arp.  Same MAC address?

Also watch with tcpdump on the other box, look for who-has and reply ARP
packets and watch the MAC address in those.

-Andy