Network Monitoring Tools

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 17 14:41:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 09:08 -0500, Ki Song wrote:
> Our company is having some issues with a web hosting provider. The server we
> have with them (at a remote location) crashes ... sometimes more than once a
> week.

That isn't normal, you really want to get another host!

> Is there a network monitoring tool that I can install on a machine within
> our own network that will monitor the server uptime of our server that is at
> a remote location?
>
> I want a tool that will monitor the server, make sure certain services are
> working, and then, if they are not, to either text message me, or e-mail me.

There are various companies that purport to provide that sort of
service.  If you were adept at simple programming, you could write your
own tool that would periodically fetch a file from your server, and
report if it failed.

I read messages from the public lists.