NdisWrapper nearly working - was madwifi ath_pci config problems on Sony Vaio

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Nov 17 17:49:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 16:14 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Thursday 17 November 2005 11:42 am, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi folks.
> >
> Okay, so I've given in with madwifi (madwifi.org.being down hasn't
> helped) and gone for NdisWrapper.  I've installed the RPM's and
> followed the installation instructions and all goes fine provided I
> don't want to use WEP.  If I don't set the WEP key on Linux and disable
> WEP on the AP all's fine, but when I enable WEP on the AP and run
>
> iwconfig ath0 key restricted XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
>
> where the key matches the one in the AP and the one in XP, it no longer
> works.  Anyone know why?
>
> (Without a WEP the MAC address of the AP shows up in 'iwconfig wlan0',
> with the WEP key it doesn't)

The command should read:

	iwconfig wlan0 key restricted XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX

"wlan0" being the wireless interface.  I don't know where you got the
"ath0" from.

You also should set up an ESSID on the APs as well as a WEP key.  You
needn't broadcast the ESSID, but you should set one.  The command then
becomes:

	iwconfig wlan0 essid <ESSID> key restricted <KEY-STRING>

> Also, the instructions tell me to
>
> depmod -a
> modprobe ndiswrapper
>
> to load modules, which work, followed by
>
> ndiswrapper -m
>
> to add it to modprobe.conf, and to add 'ndiswrapper' to /etc/modules to
> make it permanent.

Uh, no.  "depmod -a" after a build and install simply verifies that the
module links to the kernel properly (that all its references are
satisfied).  The "modprobe ndiswrapper" is how you manually do what
is normally done by the "/etc/modprobe.conf" file and the automatic, on-
demand module loading system.

> The problem is that the line added to /etc/modproble.conf has 'wlan0'
> instead of 'ath0' but this doesn't seem to make any difference.
> Also /etc/modules doesn't even exist.

You need "alias ndiswrapper wlan0" in /etc/modprobe.conf.  That's all
you need.

- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -